Saturday, April 21, 2007

Edward Scissorhands


Last night Nate and I went with our friends to see a theatrical adaptation of Tim Burton's movie Edward Scissorhands. This was our first time venturing out to the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the 16th Street Mall area. I thought the show was Fantastic. Terrific. Beautiful. To put it simply anyway. Here's a picture of Sam Archer who plays Edward.

The show was adapted, directed and choreographed by Matthew Bourne who is most commonly known for his adaptation of the traditional ballet Swan Lake (not that I knew anything about him before this show....Rachel taught me all I know up to this point). The only complaint I had about the show was that the cast was so big and the dancing/characterization was so awesome that my eyes couldn't decide where to settle. I got so set on watching Edward that I think I missed a lot of other great storyline that was happening elsewhere on the stage.

(By the way I didn't take any of these pictures. I'd credit the photographer but I can't find their name...I got these pics from Flickr)

I should note that this wasn't a traditional ballet. More of a contemporary dance...play without words. So for those of you who have only seen the Nutcracker and think that you would be bored to death at a ballet I'd say that this show would keep you entertained. Their tour is almost over though...it looks like Seattle is their last stop so Bill and Gail you should check it out.

My final plug is for the movie Edward Scissorhands itself. If you're like us and haven't seen it since 1990 I would recommend Netflixing it. I love that the story is a classic plot about an outsider who falls into and out of popularity because he's different. Except he's ridiculously different because his hands are freaking scissors. Also, Tim Burton does fantastic things with colors and humor in the film. Plus it has Johnny Depp.

No comments: